March 24, 2014
Minutes of March 10, 2014 UL Board meeting – Prepared by Sandra Miranda, Secretary.
Minutes of the regularly scheduled monthly meeting of the United Latinos, Promoviendo Accion Civica,
Held at: Zazon Guadalajara Grill-2386 Fruitridge Road-Sacramento, CA. 95822 on March 10, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 6:08 p.m. by Board President Mauricio Leiva
Upon roll call the following members were present:
President: Mauricio Leiva
1st Vice-President: Manuel Hernandez
2nd Vice-President: Michel Orosco
Secretary: Sandra Miranda
Treasurer: Bernardo Buenrostro
Parliamentarian: Ronald F. Jimenez
Director of Strategic Initiative: Arturo Aleman
Director of Events: Vacant
Director of Media: Julio Gonzalez
Director of Member Services: Nancy Fuguet-not present
Guests in Attendance were:
There were eight board members present and a quorum was established.
Board member Introductions were made and our guest speaker (Brittney Gandy-SEE/MOSS coordinator from C.S.U.-Sacramento) was also introduced.
The minutes of The February 10, 2014 were approved. M/S/A
Board of Director Reports:
- The first issue of the United Latinos Newsletter was released on February 28, 2014.
- Also, on February 28, The Voter Education Forum venue was secured at the Alumni Ctr.
- Per our Attorney (Luis Cespedes) allowing another organization to cede control of our 501C3 non-profit number could result in us losing our non-profit status.
- Per our P.O. Box, we have 2 additional people who have paid membership dues.
- Nancy Fuguet has resigned effective today (March 10, 2014) from the board position due to increasing real estate obligations and family issues. We now have a Director of Events vacancy. A letter of appreciation to Nancy by the board was suggested by Arturo.
1st Vice-President Manny Hernandez’ Report:
- A summary of the proposed strategic plan has been placed in the U.L. newsletter. Board of Director members and several other members met several times for updated vision goals.
- John Ochoa provided guidance, information and leadership regarding the goal of full participation of Latinos in the electoral process.
- Our mission is to hold public events that educate Latinos in civic and electoral participation and to award educational scholarships.
- Our goals are the following:
- To conduct educational forums with the objective of conducting 1 non-election year and 2 election years voter education forums.
- To provide educational opportunities by awarding a minimal of 4 educational scholarships.
- To establish working relationships with various educational institutions and to create new partnerships by December 2014.
A motion was made to approve the Strategic Plan for 2014-2015 by Manny Hernandez and seconded by Michael Orosco. M/S/A unanimously
2nd Vice-President Michael Orosco’s Report:
- We have a Ph.D. Project by two individuals regarding leadership gaps and organization. They are Sally Montemayor- Lenz and Judy Moody. (see memorandum of Understanding sent by Michael Orosco via e-mail. He will monitor methodology by Ph.D. students per the board’s discussion regarding the sharing of confidential information. A motion was made by Michael to approve the MOU between U.L. and the Ph.D. candidates Sally M. Lenz and Judy Moody effective March 10, 2014. The motion was seconded by Arturo. M/S/A
- Michael will continue to work with Mickie Grove zoo regarding the Vino Latinos event. There are 8 local Latino wineries in the area.
- There is a new state requirement (Dpt. Of Parks and Recreation) which would cause job losses among minority recreation therapists without a grandfather clause. (This is a possible action item which would need to be further researched.)
Treasurer’s report: Presented by Treasurer Buenrostro
- See Treasurer’s report to the board. What was the amount reported?
A motion was made to approve the treasurer’s report of February 2014 and seconded by Ron Jimenez. M/S/A
- Ms. Dong had a question regarding the process for making a donation to our organization.
- Student Advisory Committee concerns:
- Diversity of students
- Action Plan (committee to talk to school counselors, look at LULAC’s model)
The president has appointed Ron Jimenez as chairperson of the Youth Initiative Committee.
- Julio Gonzalez stated that the Secretary of State’s List of Candidates will be made public on March 13, 2014.
- The Speaker Series has been cancelled until June 2014.
- There is an opening for school board superintendent for S.U.S.D. which has no Latino person/s in management. Arturo requested that an Ad Hoc committee be set up with the president’s approval to add leadership at S.U.S.D. Manny, Ron and Michael volunteered to assist in this endeavor.
Director of Events: This position is now open. A suggestion was made by Julio that we take on duties for individual events and report back to the board.
The GALA will be discussed at the next meeting. The agenda for next month will be posted on the updated website.
New Business/Guest Speaker:
We have entered into partnership with C.S.U.Sacramento’s SEE program as explained by our guest speaker Brittney Gandy. SEE stands for The Science Educational Equity Program. It is a comprehensive academic support program for students who face social, economic and educational barriers to careers in the health professions, science research and science teaching. Ms. Gandy announced the 20th Annual SEE/MOSS graduation and awards Banquet on May 10, 2014 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the University Union Ballroom III.
Also, a cost estimate handout was presented for a dinner/dance fundraiser for November 7, 2014.
There will be a Cesar Chavez symposium at U.C. Davis on March 15, 2014. There is no fee to attend.
I.H.S. is having an informational Cesar Chavez booth on April 4, 2014 at a booth cost of $40.00.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:12 p.m. by Julio and seconded by Manny and approved by all.